Many of you have recently contacted me to ask if that was me in that Majestic Pines Casino commercial as the character of Bad Luck. The answer is “yes, it was.” It was one in a series of three commercials that we filmed it at various locations in Madison, Wisconsin about 1 year and 15 pounds ago. (If you’re familiar with Madison, in the shot where I’m late in preventing the protagonist from getting the phone number of a lady, the street I’m sprinting down is Willy Street. In fact, we filmed some very funny interior scenes for the other commercials inside Lazy Jane’s Cafe.)
If you haven’t seen the commercial, I’ve decided to name it and claim it, and you can see it here.
I’d like to use this forum to address some questions and comments from people who have seen it:
1) “Nice leotards!” Thank you. Actually, it’s a unitard. I thought the black was very slimming. Set against my pasty, Irish flesh, I think it gave the character a nice, monochromatic noir quality.
2) “Were you wearing anything underneath?” An odd, stalker-y question but, yes, I was wearing a dance belt. If you’re not familiar, a dance belt is basically a padded, one-cup crotch-bra designed to prevent unwanted focus on the “junk” by removing detail. The effect is that of smoothing one out like a Ken doll. The back was a thin, VERY invasive strip of fabric. It made the running scenes…interesting.
3) “Do you still have the costume?” No, but I suspect it was auctioned off for charity. However, the thought of someone with custody of my sweaty dance belt and unitard keeps me up nights. Honestly, I don’t know where it is, but the idea of it in a frame, displayed in a place of honor at the casino (perhaps above the “Let it Ride” table) makes me smile.
4) “Will the other commercials be airing any time soon?” That’s up to Majestic Pines Casino. If this commercial gets really popular, probably.
5) “Are you really ‘Bad Luck?'” Yes.
Thank you all for your questions and comments, and to the owner of the unitard and dance belt, please don’t attempt to contact me.